Thursday, March 10, 2011

Book Review: Seed Bead Fusion by Rachel Nelson-Smith

You can find it at any Borders that are still open, and also Amazon, here are the addresses online...  http://www.borders.com/online/store, type in seed bead fusion, and for amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Seed-Bead-Fusion-Projects-Stitch/dp/159668156X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299781756&sr=8-1.

Lots of interesting projects in here, one of which I am currently stitching up, a beaded bead about which I have previously blogged. See the picture here:

I'll have to see if I can get some good pictures of it as it is now, I have finished the first row of bumps and started on the middle row, but I'm not going to take pictures today, the cloud cover is not conducive to clear bright photos. Anyway, she mostly does structural pieces, not flat, and generally in several layers. I like that, as you can choose which layer to stop at, and do all or only some. She has used a diverse assortment of items to inspire her designs, including eggs, Star Wars aliens, Bollywood jewelry, and sea creatures.

Best of all, in my opinion, her directions are concise and clear, a wondrous thing, and I have done projects where the directions were not so great, so I am always glad to find ones that are good. She also has a huge number of illustrations and photos showing what the pieces look like at various stages in the construction. The projects in the book range from beginner level pieces to more advanced items, and short term projects that can be finished in a few hours to things which would take--well, a lot longer. All of them are gorgeous, and the book is a wonderful inspiration.

THE Magpie

As usual, I have no financial stake in the sales of this book, other than having purchased a copy and liking it very well indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment