Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dragon my feet

On the dragon's feet. I figured out what I wanted to do for the pearl Padparadscha is holding, and it is finished, and I backstitched around his body while noodling about how to fill it in. I think I am going to use orange sequins held down with some really pretty orange seed beads. I am going to do a bit on a doodle cloth before I start on the actual piece. I debated doing his body in a sort of or nue variation, but couldn't figure out how to get a scaly effect. I have pictures of him as of this evening, but as I have yet to load them onto the computer they will be uploaded to the blog later.

Oh, and about the feet. I haven't yet decided whether to do them in the woven petals thing from stumpwork--they are often used for sepals on raspberries, and I just picked up an old British stitchery mag. that has a sunflower with them as petals--very pretty. Either that or I am going to do them in bullion knots. I am leaning toward the petals as I think they will look very dragonish.

THE Magpie

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you could do laid gold threads couched with fly stitches to outline the scales? I've no idea how it would work, but if you are going to try out a few ideas, you might be able to think of something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the proper terminology, but I've seen thick thread that was basically elastic wrapped in a long coil of tiny gold ribbon. When slightly stretched, it gives a "segmented" effect that - laid three or four in parallel - could work quite well on a leg or a wing.

    ReplyDelete